The Competition Bureau (Bureau) announced January 11 that Amazon.com.ca, Inc. (Amazon) has agreed to pay a $1 million penalty for contravening the misleading advertising provisions under the Canadian Competition Act including recent provisions that came into force as part of Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL). Amazon will also pay $100,000 towards the investigative costs incurred by the Bureau. The fine follows an investigation into Amazon’s pricing practices over two years on Amazon Retail, the platform by which the company sells directly to consumers.
The e-commerce company has entered into a consent agreement with the Bureau to settle the investigation of … Continue Reading
McCarthy Tétrault multidisciplinary teams working in the fields of consumer goods, retailing, franchising and distribution are hosting a luncheon during which we will discuss the developments of particular interest for Québec retailers in 2015.
Mr. Peter Simons, with by Mtre David Blair, will discuss the expansion of the Maison Simons and the evolution of the retail sales.
This will be followed by our panel of experts who will discuss the following topics:
… Continue Reading
- Ordinary sale price under the Competition Act – is it time to review your corporate compliance policy?
- Mixed use of co-ownership. Merchants and residents: how to ensure a
McCarthy Tétrault’s Doing Business in Canada is an indispensable reference tool for lawyers and business persons regarding the legal aspects of establishing or acquiring a business in Canada. The newest edition reflects legislative changes including:
- Canadian anti-spam legislation (CASL)
- updates on investment thresholds related to the Competition Act and Foreign Investment laws
- Supreme Court decisions and legislation affecting copyrights
- new information for employers regarding unjust dismissal complaints
- updates on anti-treaty shopping measures introduced in 2014
We encourage you to consult one of our lawyers to gain a more comprehensive analysis of the legal implications of your proposed investment.
Download the … Continue Reading